Saturday, May 18, 2013

Short Book Review: Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

I am not usually a fictional reader. I've read less than a dozen fiction books in my entire life. I usually read spiritual type books, or self-help type books. I read mostly for the sake of motivation and inspiration. Surprisingly, I got both of those with a splash of complexity and creativity while reading
Ender's Game.

Ender's game is fun because it's an easy-read book. The language is simple, yet Orson Scott Card has a way of describing people and settings that allows your mind to instantly be in the setting.

It was easy to connect with the characters in the book, especially Ender. I felt bad for him while he was being trained to become a warfare mastermind. The rigorous training he went through reminds me of the training all people go through in life. I believe God teaches as line upon line, precept upon precept. He tests us just enough to get us to the next stage of grace, then raises us grace for grace through trials, adversity, blessings, experiences, learning, mistakes. He will train as and help us become like Him through the grace of His son's atonement. As we come unto Christ, we can expect that we won't be swimming in shallow water, but deep water will be what we are want to swim.

Ender became a well-calculated killing mind, but deep down he never wanted to do any of it. So many people in power would be fine "cracking a few eggs along the way." Ender felt bad for every misfortune others had to pay at his expense. It was fun to see Ender's evolution as a person and how it corresponded with Valentine and Peter's. Witty and genius, Ender's Game has so much fun to offer, yet inspires and expands the mind at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your feelings in an uplifting way! I hope this can be a conduit of inspiration where many can discuss their beliefs and discover even more Truths to guide daily living.